Friday, April 15, 2011

FIAMMA'S FUN FACTS FRIDAY

Since most iguanas are green, I'm going to talk about iguanas today!  As I told you in my introduction and as you can see, I am a beautiful red iguana, but my anatomy is the same.  Obviously, I have two eyes, but I have a "third eye" on the top of my head.  It has a lens that monitors heat and light from above - kind of like a radar motion detector!  In the wild, the changes in light can indicate danger, a predator, or simply that we need to move from sun to shade.  Just imagine, say, if a two-headed purple dragon with red eyes is right above us, we would definitely move to safety - OH BOY!  Since I think you've seen my toes in several posts, I won't go there, but we do have strong claws for digging and climbing.   

Here are some other fun facts:
  • Iguanas can stay under water for 28 minutes.
  • Our tail makes up at least half of our body length.
  • Some ways we communicate are with head bobbing, tongue flicking, and tail whipping.
Hope you enjoy the video:  http://youtu.be/faC3XTInrgA