Tuesday, April 5, 2011

DEAR TABBY

DEAR TABBY:  I am in the third grade and have wanted a cat of my own for a long time.  When I turned 9 this weekend, my mom and dad took me to our local shelter and we adopted an orange-striped cat that I named Roughy.  I love him so much already, but I've never had a cat before and want to learn all about him   My parents said that you could tell me what he is saying and feeling by his body language and his actions.  - KATHRYN,  JUSTIN, TX



DEAR KATHRYN:  First, let me congratulate you and your parents for making adoption the first option!  I'm so glad to hear that you found your feline forever friend and want to learn all about him.  There is so much to tell you and our readers about your feline companion and how he communicates.  Read the tips below and watch the video.
http://youtu.be/goKrh5DYOJc


PUPILS
If your cat’s eyes are wide open and looking at you, she is saying, "I'm listening."
If her eyes are half closed it means, "I'm sleepy."
If her eye pupils look like slits, she is telling you that she is feeling alert and confident.
A "bug-eyed" looks means, "I'm frightened"...so be careful!
If she is blinking and winking at you, she is very content.
A kitty whose eyes are staring straight at you is saying, "Stay away."  A stare is a challenge.


EARS
Ears pointed forward can convey friendly interest and different degrees of attentiveness or suspense. 
Ears that are pricked up and turned slightly backward indicate a warning that an attack is contemplated. 
Ears that are raised and twisted back combined with hissing mean that a cat is ready to attack. 
Ears fully erect but furled back indicate anger.



WHISKERS - The position of the whiskers says a great deal.
When a cat is excited, tense and ready to act, the whiskers will be pointed forward and fanned out.
On a calm or comfortable cat, the whiskers point outward and are less spread apart.  This position can also mean a friendly disposition or indifference.
A cat that is hunting prey will thrust her whiskers forward.
The shy, timid or reserved cat will bunch the whiskers together and flatten them out to the side of the face.
Whiskers flat against the face signify the cat is frightened.


TAIL - The tail is one of the best barometers of feline mood.
A still, raised tail means a friendly greeting.
A sudden whip of the tail shows a threat of impending attack.
The highly excited cat waves her tail from side to side in jerky, rapid motions.
The top of a tail moving means slight dissatisfaction or impatience.
A relaxed cat allows the tail to hang straight down.
A tail held straight out behind indicates caution.
The top shifts back and forth in moments of great excitement.