Friday, June 17, 2011

FIAMMA'S FUN FACTS FRIDAY

Hmmm, I wonder if this is where I was born - Lizard Lick, North Carolina.  Let's explore this little burg, shall we?  The community of Lizard Lick is about 20 miles east of Raleigh (the state capital), about 3 miles north of Wendell, and 3  miles west of Zebulon.  In 1998, Lizard Lick was in the public spotlight when Nintendo came to the town to first release the Nintendo 64 game, Yoshi's Story, because of Yoshi's ability to extend his tongue over a long distance. 
Uh, daddy?
The town is also the location for the show Lizard Lick Towing and Recovery.  One of the owners, "Repo Ron" is a very interesting fellow, despite his outward appearance.  Below, I've copied Ron's MY PERSONAL COMPASS section from their website: 
"Life’s most prolific lessons are ones that are learned through failure and taught by being lived; with few words seldom spoken.
I now strive to be nice and caring, more than I want to avoid being walked on.  I yearn to be honest, far more than I seek respect.  It has become an endeavor of mine to "learn" more than to achieve social status.  I have reached a point of understanding within myself where I seek the "good life" over the quintessential "material life."  I have achieved a level of personal gratification by not just weathering the violent storms that paint the finishing touches on the canvas we call life’s masterpiece.  Rather, taking the time to learn to enjoy the rain, no matter how severe, and pull some tidbit of knowledge and understanding from its driving drops.  I have discovered a hidden truth in life, that to serve another, is to serve one's true desires.
I want to keep trying, despite failing."


You just never know where you can find little nuggets of wisdom - nice thoughts, Ron.  They have some pretty cool merchandise too - check out "the bulldog" design.

Well, I'm proud to be a Texan and an American, so I want to share some little nuggets about our flag (Flag Day was June 14).  Our flag has a proud and glorious history and has been at the lead of every battle fought by Americans - it even flies proudly on the surface of the moon!  Betsy Ross made our country's first flag in 1776, and Francis Scott Key wrote the lyrics to our national anthem in 1814 after he watched the British Royal Navy bombard Fort McHenry while our American Flag flew in the breeze. The poem was called "Defense of Fort McHenry" and was later renamed "The Star-Spangled Banner."  The song has a range of 1-1/2 octaves, making it very difficult to sing, but watch this 2-year-old sing it so well: