Monday, September 12, 2011

WAGGIN' TRAILS TALES by Blog Dog Dan

I know, I know, I'm late, but I've been on a long journey westward on a wagon train! I am very happy with the information I have to tell you tonight, because I'm wagon, uh, waggin' my tail right now! Tail wagging is a dog’s response to energy going through its whole body, but you can only see it through the tail! If my tail was tucked, that would mean I’m afraid or fearful of something (like being late with my post)! If I'm really happy, my tail will usually be right in the middle of my body. When my tail starts to go up, that means I’m focusing my attention on something (like my ears when they’re perked) and I can tend to be more aggressive. It’s okay for us dogs to be curious, but not to get fixated on any one thing. You know I'm the curious type, and right now, my ears are perked and my tail is at the top of my body!

The 50 years between 1840 and 1890 represented one of the greatest movements of humanity we will ever see in this country and is part of an era we will never see again. The discovery of gold in California in 1848 and the 1862 Homestead Act sent fortune hunters and families from the east to a new life of farming or fortune in the west. The population of the United States in 1840 was about 17,100,000; by 1900, it was about  76,200,000 (according to the U.S. Scentsus, uh, Census). Emigration to California spiked considerably with the 1849 Gold Rush. Following the discovery of gold, California remained the destination of choice for most emigrants on the Oregon trail up to 1860, with almost 200,000 people traveling there between 1849 and 1860. None of these original statistical records have been found, only partial records, as the Army lost them or destroyed them.

Now, my wagon trails tales begin! The bigger Conestoga wagons were used mostly in the East, on the Great Wagon Road, through the Great Appalachian Valley from Pennsylvania to North Carolina, ultimately reaching Augusta, Georgia, on the Savannah River. These wagons averaged 18 x 11 x 4 feet and could transport up to eight tons. The wagon was pulled by a team of up to eight horses or up to a dozen oxen. It was designed to resemble a boat, to help it cross rivers and streams.

The Oregon Trail is the 2,000-mile historic east-west wagon route that connected the Missouri River to valleys in Oregon and took 4-6 months to cross. To complete the journey in one traveling season, most travelers left in April to May, as soon as there was enough grass for the animals and the trails dried out. To meet the constant need for water, grass, and fuel for campfires, the trail followed various rivers and streams. They even had toll roads, thought to have been about $30 per wagon! By 1869, the Oregon Trail and its many offshoots were used by about 400,000 settlers, ranchers, farmers,  miners, and businessmen and their families.
 
The lighter, smaller wagons were used for this journey. They were referred to as “prairie schooners” because the white canvas covers of the wagons crossing the prairies looked like sails of a ship at sea. The body of the wagon was 10 x 3-1/2 feet with 30-inch sides and could carry a ton and a half. The wagon was usually pulled by two or four oxen.  

The cloth top of the wagon was oiled to keep out the sun, rain, wind, or hail and to protect the goods inside the wagons. In order to lighten the load for the oxen when the journey got hard, items would often be tossed from the wagon onto the trail. On some accounts, pianos and organs were left behind on the trail. I’m sure that was “sweet music” for the oxen! Because all of the goods and supplies were packed in the wagons and left little room, the settlers usually walked beside their wagons. I sure hope they had on their walking shoes!

That's all for me tonight 'cause my tale, uh, tail, is draggin'!  I'm sure the other bloggers on BDD will help me out on our journey westward this week. I think this is the first time we've watched adorable Droopy, so let's catch Deputy Droopy in action (better late than never!):